Touch of Grey
A great layering piece, this buttonless belted short-sleeved cardigan is knit in one piece with limited seaming. Sized from XS-XXL, it is knit on circular needles, working back and forth from the bottom to the underarms. At that point the sleeve stitches are cast on and the back and front pieces are divided and each worked separately. Short rows are used to shape the shoulders. Front and back shoulder stitches are attached by binding off the stitches together using the three-needle bind off technique. Finally, stitches are picked up and knitted to create the neck band ribbing, sleeve ribbing and front bands. The only seaming you’ll have to do is at the underarm on each side—that’s it!
Pattern Cost: $5.50
Sizes: XS (S, M, L, XL, XXL)
Finished Bust Size: 26 (30, 34, 38, 42, 46)" / 66 (76, 86.5, 96.5, 107, 117) cm
Sample is knit at size S, being worn with 2" of negative ease.
Gauge: (in garter st, after blocking) 17 sts & 26 rows (13 ridges) = 4"
Yarn: 638 (727, 816, 905, 994, 1083) yds of bulky-weight yarn. Shown in Cascade Baby Alpaca Chunky, 6 (7, 8, 9, 10, 10) skeins.
Needles & Other Supplies:
• US 9 / 5.5 mm 29" / 74 cm (or longer) circular needles (or size need to obtain gauge)
• US 7 / 4.5 mm 29" / 74 cm (or longer) circular needles (or 2 sizes smaller than size needed to obtain gauge)
• An extra size US 9 / 5.5 mm needle (straight or circular) to be used for three-needle bind off
• Size US 7 / 4.5 mm double pointed needle (DPN) to make the i-cord belt
• Stitch markers
• 3 stitch holders
• Scrap yarn
• Tapestry needle
• Row counter (not necessary, but helpful)